There are so many things to do in Augusta, MO!
Eat, shop, drink wine, ride a bike or talk a stroll on Katy Trail, learn the local history; there is plenty to do in Augusta, Missouri. We look forward to meeting you.
Kid Friendly, Can Accommodate Large Groups, Weddings, Historical, Guided and Self-guided Tours
St. Charles County Parks continues to bring history to life at The Historic Daniel Boone Home in Defiance! The National Register of Historic Places and is a popular attraction for guests of all ages to visit year-round.
Nestled upon the rolling hills of Missouri Historic Wine Country and overlooking the Femme Osage Valley, this beautiful setting represents life in the early 1800s and brings the legacy of Daniel Boone to life. Journey back to another time and relive the adventures, dangers, and joyous events of the famous American longhunter and pioneer, Daniel Boone. Visit the home where he lived in his last years and learn the history of this legendary folk hero.
The nearly 300 acre site includes the historic home, adjoining historic village grounds, and surrounding property. St. Charles County continues to operate the historic park as a tourist site. The village is comprised of 16 buildings that have been moved to the property from within 50 miles of the site. Each building dates back to the 1800s. The general store, schoolhouse and grist mill offer a peek into life on the Missouri frontier. Collectively, the buildings represent a pioneer village of that time period.
Guided tours of The Historic Daniel Boone Home are available during park hours. Groups of 10 or more wanting to tour the home should make a reservation at least two weeks in advance by calling the St. Charles County Parks and Recreation Department at 636-949-7535. Tours include a guided tour of three-level home. In addition to the Home tour, guests may request an extended tour of the property to view three to five buildings in the village at no extra cost. The village tour is dependent on staff availability. Village buildings typically are open only during special events
There is no admission fee to enter the park grounds or the village grounds. Guests may stop by any time during park hours to take a self-guided tour of the outside of the Boone Home and village buildings onsite.
While you’re visiting, don’t forget to stop by the gift shop and purchase a treasured memento to take home. And ask us about reserving the Old Peace Chapel and The Grand Pavilion for your wedding or next family event. The historic park also hosts a variety of events and school field trips throughout the year.
The mission of the Boone Home and village is to provide a center that fully integrates learning on all education levels; preserves and protects the historical structures, collections and natural resources that comprise the facility; and interprets the early American frontier experience in Missouri as exemplified by the Boone family and their contemporaries.
1868 Highway F Defiance, MO 63341
8:30 a.m.–5 p.m. Monday–Saturday
11:30 a.m.–5 p.m. Sunday
Winter Tour Hours (Dec. 16–March 1):
9 a.m.–5 p.m. Saturday
12–5 p.m. Sunday
Can Accommodate Large Groups, Weddings
Augusta Harmonie Verein, formerly known as the American Legion Post 262 and Grand Army of the Republic Hall, is an historic clubhouse located in Augusta, St. Charles County. It hosts a number of special events during the year and is available to rent for special occasions.
Augusta Harmonie Verein
Open for special events only
When our German settlers first arrived to this region in the 1800s, it reminded them of everything they loved about their homeland. The sweeping vistas of the Missouri River valley, the Osage Ridge with its tree-covered slopes.
These hard-scrabble few soon created a new way of life and an entire community centered on wine-growing and wine-making. Vineyards and cozy farmsteads began to line the bluffs. Wine took on the role as the center of the community.
The Augusta Wine Trail was created to celebrate our shared location in the Augusta AVA (American Viticultural Area), which was the first designed grape growing area in the country. The wines that come from this area are the centerpiece of what joins our four wineries together. And while wine is the centerpiece, what we create is the chance to preserve this tradition for generations to come.
5601 High Street, Augusta, MO
Check Individual Wineries for hours
Private Tours, reservations accepted
Experience Wine Country™
History – Wineries – Craftsmanship
Missouri Rhineland Tours, LLC provides refined history, wine and artisan tour experiences in Missouri’s Wine Country for small private groups.
Our goal is simple – to delight our guests.
Accepting reservations beginning Summer 2021
Kid Friendly, Can Accommodate Small Groups, Historical
Augusta’s Historical Museum is located in the split-level brick house built in 1861 by August and Catherine Sehrt, immigrants from Hannover, Germany. August, an experienced carpenter, made furniture and caskets in the downstairs stonewalled workroom and grew grapes and fruit trees on the 8 acres around the house. Catherine cared for their large family of 2 boys and 8 girls. The Sehrt home is one of Augusta’s 8 houses on the National Historic Register.
Friends of Historic Augusta invite you to visit our YouTube Channel, where you can listen to our “Tell It Like It Was Series” www.youtube.com/channel/UCHzTeE_r38NVIpAM8puZOjA
275 Webster St, Augusta MO
Open to the public from 1:00 PM – 4:00PM on the following Sunday’s
May 2, 2021
Jun 6, 2021
July 4, 2021
Aug 1, 2010
Sep 5, 2021
Open museum dates will include a presentation in the kitchen area of the museum. This year the focus will be on Augusta area businesses and homes of the early 1900’s.
Self-Guided Tour, Historical
Enjoy a historic adventure in the park at this new attraction that is now open to visitors for the first time. Once owned by the grandson of Missouri pioneer Daniel Boone, the newly renovated home will be opened for self-guided tours beginning Saturday, Dec. 5, 2020.
The 1830s stone dwelling features a new interpretive center with artifacts and displays that showcase the Hays and Boone families. The main floor houses exhibits, while the top floor features turn-of-the-century furnishings, including smaller artifacts once owned by family heirs.
Upon arrival, park interpretive staff will greet guests outside and give an overview of the property surrounding the historic house. During these educational experiences, guests will learn about the history of the Hays family and the story of the land established in the scenic Femme Osage valley and how it relates to the rich history of the region.
Located off Highway F, just two miles from The Historic Daniel Boone Home, guests interested in touring the house will enter the site at 3572 Stub Road on the north end of the heavily forested 474-acre park.
While you’re there, visit the Hays family cemetery on park property where Daniel Hays, his wife, Mary “Polly” Hays, and six of their 12 children are buried.
3572 Stub Road, Defiance MO
Admission is Free
Saturday 10am to 4:30pm
Sunday 12pm to 4:30pm
Self-Guided Tour, Historical
History of Walnut St.
Leonard Harold, a follower of Daniel Boone purchased 360 acres with an excellent boat landing form the government in 1821. A ferry started immediately, and the town quickly developed many businesses on Water Street, with steamboats docking frequently. However, the river moved away from the town in the 1870’s following several floods. Businesses and development then moved up to Walnut and other streets. Most of the buildings on Walnut Street were built in the mid to late 1800’s. The street was put on the National Register of Historic Sites because of its history and many Architectural features.
Augusta Wine Company – 5573 Walnut
In the 1800’s nearly every farm and lot in town was planted with grapes. The Augusta Wine Hall, a cooperative, was built in 1868. Growers would deliver their grapes to be added to a common wine. The two-story deep hall held 1,000-gallon wine barrels in the late 1870’s the company was shipping 200,000 gallons a year.
Koch Furniture Store – 5567 Walnut
Built in 1893, this was originally a liquor store. Later, furniture and lumber were sold here, and it was home to the volunteer fire department. Today it is home to the Edelweiss Guest House.
Gallery Augusta – 5558 Walnut
In the 1880’s a butcher shop was located in this building. Most people butchered their own hogs in the winter, so only beef was butchered here. Later it became a Gas Station and since 1979 has been Gallery Augusta. (Open to the Public)
Cranberry Cottage – 5557 Walnut
In 1860 Charles Loewenhaupt, a brick mason, built the first brick building in Augusta on a stone foundation with double doors and two rooms. This was the office of Dr. H.S. Clay. Today it houses a studio that makes Barn Quilts.
Dr. H.S. Clay House – 5549 Walnut
Dr. Clay was one of the leading physicians in Missouri. His house, built in 1885, is a Queen Anne style, with a wrap-around porch, gabled roof, decorative shingles, and turned porch support posts. Today it is home to the HS Clay Bed and Breakfast.
Reserve Guest Cottage – 5548 Walnut
This building, dating to 1888, is a brick covered with lap siding to keep it warmer.
Pitman Funeral Home – 5542 Walnut
This building, constructed in the early 1900’s was originally the Bank of Augusta, which failed during the Great Depression of the 1930’s. The bank vault is still in the back room. Today it is home to a family owned funeral parlor.
Ebenezer United Church of Christ – 5543 Walnut
Built in 1860, this brick building replaced a log church. The clock and bell tower, typical of German American churches, are noteworthy. The clock must be wound twice a week, and a hammer attached to the clock strikes the bell to tell the hours. The soft bricks were covered with stucco. You are welcome to join them for services.
Katie’s Coffee/Osthoff House – 5525 Walnut
A frame house built in 1906, it has a gabled roof, dormers, and an awning-style porch with decorated posts and open scrollwork, typical of August’s frame houses. Today it is home to a coffee shop. (Open to the Public)
Lindenhof Bed & Breakfast – 296 Jackson Street
A log and weatherboard house, it was finally completed around 1900 by the town blacksmith. The Town Blacksmith facility and wagon shop were located next door. Later it was the home and office of Dr. Herbert Schmidt. Patients entered at the door on the side. Today it is a bed and breakfast.
Augusta Emporium/Tiemann Store – 5585 Walnut
The lower part was erected in 1864 and the rest in 1878. Th, flour, e store brought milk and racoon skins. The upper part of the store sold groceries consisting of canned goods, sugar, flour, coffee beans, cheese and crackers. No meat, eggs, milk or vegetables were sold. In the winter there were oranges, bananas and nuts in the shell. The lower two sections of the store sold bolts of cloth, crockery, fencing, stoves, boots and shoes, sewing machines and farm equipment.
Fritz Tiemann House – 5583 Walnut
This was built by the owner of the store in 1880. It is L-shaped with entrances on both Green and Walnut Streets. There is an awning-style porch on Green Street and a 2-story porch on Walnut. Dentil decorations are located on the roof.
Kraft/Linnenbringer Home – 5524 Walnut
This is a 1 ½ story Queen Anne style frame house built in 1906. It has a wrap-around porch and several gabled roof levels. The side entrance led to Dr. Kraft’s Office; the front entrance led to a hat shop. Its large wine cellar has 10” thick walls.
William Osthoff House – 5520 Walnut
Built in 1915, this 2-story frame house is another Queen Anne style, with three dormer windows and decorative woodwork on the porch.
Hoffmann/Koch House – 5517 Walnut
With three gabled dormers, this home was built in the late 1850’s. It has carved posts and a scroll work balustrade around the porch.
Old Post Office – 5516 Walnut
The 4-room building from the 1880’s, with its unusual diagonal entrance, was the post office in the 1880’s. Double doors on Lower street are now closed, led to a doctor’s office. The interior is all finished in bead board.
5573 Walnut st, Augusta, MO 63332
Self Guided Tour